Friday, May 8, 2009

How you truckers can get an extra 100,000 miles out of your closeed tread drive tires with out a premature blow out.

I have been seeing something over the last 5 to 10 years that is becoming a issue of mine on closed side tread drive tires and is getting lots worse.

Closed side tread tires is a awesome over the road drive tread for you Diesel truckers. Its a very high mileage tire that wears very well. I rarely see a open tread on any diesel truck that is over the road these days. But I have an issue that I have been seeing more and more. Especially when behind an automated transmission.

These closed side Diesel truck tires are blowing out and having ten 32nds or more tread on them!

These blow outs are because of embedded rocks!

Hear me out and get an extra year or so out of most of these tires!

I don't like changing tires, patching tires or trying to find a good used tire to match the tread depth of the tire next to it! Especially if I have told the driver about this a year before and have reminded him at services since! I don't like doing anything that has to do with tires. They are hard work and no one wants to pay $74 an hour for this service. I do do a fair amount of truck tire repair tho more than I like but it is a service that I provide to my diesel truckers because they want it done right and have no out of round tires like they have had from the tire repair shops that hire young kids and don't show them how to properly clean the buildup off of the rim, how to seat the bead, be centered, how to keep the bead lubricated until you have it full of air and still lubed while you put the first hundred miles on it. This is especially critical on front ends and drive tires! I mean what trucker wants their hood and dash shaking and falling apart? Not to mention the front end parts on your truck wearing out. I will discuss how to make sure your tire guy does this correctly another day.

Here's the issue with these tires. Who ever worries about their tires having the cords being exposed to the elements and being chewed on by rocks and blowing out when they are relatively new?
This is a issue that no one that i know of worries about.
I have found after checking into this that you half to clean all the marble size rocks out of your tread at least once a year. I recommend twice a year. It takes about an hour to do all 8 drives. I ck my customers truck tires during service intervals I will pick a few deep ones out and see how far they have dug in. I have found that when the tires are over half tread is when this is very critical! The rocks get embedded between the lugs and work their way to the cords and chew on them tel either you have a blow out or the tire wears down far enough that it finally spits the rock out after a couple hundred thousand miles. By the time the tire finally gets rid of the rocks the damage has already been done. The casing is ruined in my opinion. the cords are busted up and have been exposed to the elements and made fragile.

I have found in my studies that diesel trucks with automated trans are having this issue much worse! Its something about how smoothly they shift and torque up. It makes the rock dig and dig deep on these diesel truck tires. Not all tires do this but I would say half of them do.

Take a look at your newer diesel truck dual drive tires and if you see a few to several rocks in them. Dig them out and ck to see if they are starting a hole.

Lets get some life out of them expensive drive tires.

You may think I am crazy for recommending digging the rocks out of your diesel truck tires but after you have a blow out or 2, and noticing you still have quarter tread left. then you start checking the tires you notice chunks of rubber missing down to the rusty cords. You will have seen where a rock has been living for a couple years. Then all you can do by then is get the credit card, com ck or however you pay for those expensive new diesel truck drive tires a year before you were ready to. ouch!!!

Take a mechanics word on this I am one of the guys that sees this issue weekly and I am addressing it to you diesel truckers on how to save allot of bucks a year on your repair bills!

No comments: